Sunday Happenings 8.23.15
Prayer Concerns (From the floor)
- Elaine Sharkey’s dad (Richard passed)
- Troy Runkle
- Hazel Shanaman
Praises from Sunday
- Maple Grove Choir
- Wayne & Nancy’s new great grandson
Today we started a new series called “This World is not My Home.” We (Christians) are just passing through this world. We are “Strangers in this World.” This is the title of this message. Basically we are going through the Book of 1 Peter in this series. Peter is reminding us in chapter one of 1 Peter that we are the “elect;” that’s us as Christians. We are adopted “sons and daughters” of the King. When we gave our life to Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we were born again. This is why we are the “elect.” We are strangers in this world because our real home is in Heaven. And because this world is not our home you will suffer from time to time, but the best is yet to come! Jesus himself told us in the Gospel of John that, “In this world you will have troubles” (Jn. 16:33). Peter tells us the same thing, “Though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials” (1 Pet. 1:6b). But even in suffering and troubles don’t lose heart, see what we have to gain in verses 2-5 of chapter one of 1 Peter. Things like being sanctified by the Spirit; saved by the blood of Jesus; an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading. We are guarded by God’s power through faith unto a salvation ready to be revealed in the last times. We’ve got so much going for us as Christians that we should want to shout and jump for joy! We should want to share this great news with those that don’t have salvation yet.
We as Christians got to do a redo so to speak. We’ve got to start our life over again when we asked Jesus to come live in our heart. This is great news for us! “For you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls” (1 Peter 1:9). And then going back to verse four Peter tells us, “And into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade, kept in heaven for you.” As Christians we need to know that this world is not our permanent home. We are strangers just passing through! One day we will hear the loud command; the trumpet call of God and we will rise from the grave to meet Jesus in the sky. Read 1 Thess. 4:13-18. We are strangers in this world; this world is not our home!
- Today we started a new series called, “This World is not My Home.”
- Let Andy Smith know that you are thinking about him! Send him a gift. List is in the foyer.
- Maple Grove Board meeting is this Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
- See Megan Hunter for information regarding the 5k walk/run at Dips n Dogs.
- Sign-up for the 5k run/walk at Camp Mack. Forms on the Welcome Center.
- Camp Mack is looking for new volunteers to join the Camp Mack Festival committee. See Lauren Carrick for details.
- First Grader’s get a new Bible this coming Sunday!
- The men of the church will meet on September 15to watch a John Maxwell tape.
- Sisters in Christ are going to Hacienda’s on September 1. Signup at the Welcome Center.
- Helpers are needed for Wednesday nights for the first month or so. See Tonda Carrick if you can help.
Have a blessed week!