Sunday Happenings 9.6.15
Prayer Concerns (From the floor)
- Tracy Newcomer
Praises from Sunday
- Ashley Shultz’s aunt Sue got a good report
Today’s message was entitled, “First Class.” As Christians we are traveling on the same plane as everyone else. But some of get to ride in first class. This basically means we all live in this world and those ridding in first class are those who have given their lives to Jesus, as Lord and Savior. The Bible tells us “we are just passing through this world, that we are strangers and aliens in this world.” Again, we’re traveling on the same plane but we (Christians) get to go first class. We have advantages and blessings the rest of the world does not have. What are they? Well one of them is that we are saved! 1 Peter 2:9-10 say this; “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praise of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.” You see, we’ve been bumped up to first class. God saved us not to pamper us but to use us. 1 Peter 2:5 says; “You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” God did not call us to be a pile of useless bricks. Sometimes we see bricks laying around on a construction site, and most times they are an eye sore. But when the project is finished, they add value to the building. They add value! In these verses here in 1 Peter, God calls us to be a priest. If you’re a Christian, you’re than a priest. You don’t need special permission to bring someone to the Lord, you can do that yourself because you’re a priest. In the Old Testament only the priest could eat the showbread, now you and I can eat of the bread and drink of the cup. Why? Because we’re all priests.
Peter also tells us that we can now offer a “spiritual sacrifice acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” Another words we are not a part time priest. We don’t just put on our priestly robe when we come into church and take if off when we leave. We need to be a priest all the time. Hebrews 13:15-16 says this; “Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. You want to please God, there you go! Let’s please God by being all He wants us to be! We must remember that we’re in first class not by our own doing, but by the sacrifice Jesus made for us. We get to ride in first class by accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We get their by his grace, and not by anything we’ve done! “The one who trusts in Him will never be put to shame” (1 Peter 2:6b).
- New Prayer Chain is up and going. When you get a call it will come up a 719 area code. If you are not getting them, please let Pastor Dwayne know. Thanks
- 5k walk/run and golf outing is at Dips n Dogs next Saturday(9/12).
- 5k run/walk at Camp Mack next Sundayat Camp.
- Camp Mack is looking for new volunteers to join the Camp Mack Festival committee. See Lauren Carrick for details.
- The men of the church will meet on September 15to watch a John Maxwell tape.
- Prayer meeting and WednesdayNight activities start this Wednesday at 6:30. There is a signup sheet for snacks on the Welcome Center if you can help them out!
- Work day at Maple Grove is scheduled for September 12, starting at8:00 a.m.
- Maple Grove will be serving the Fairfield Football Team a meal onSeptember 25. A donation list will be on the Welcome Center if you would like to help.
- Coming October 11MG Kids will start a new Sunday school program. This is for preschool through 5th grade. Please see Krista Runkle for more details. If you can help in this ministry, again see Krista.
Have a great Labor Day!